Chatham Borough Council
In 2001, our family visited Chatham on the 4th of July and fell in love with the town. We bought a home we looked at that day, which is where we still live and are raising our three children. After years of working in Chatham and volunteering in the community, I am excited to move my service into the public sector of our borough. I believe in true bi-partisan policy making and bringing more voices to the table. Chatham’s population is 51% female, yet there is currently only one woman on the Borough Council. When more women take part in our government, more decisions are made that positively affect all sectors of society. That starts at the local level.
- Gloria Dei Lutheran Church: Creator and Director of the Vacation Bible School which serves 30-70 children in the community each year (11 years). Church Council (6 years), numerous other volunteer positions.
- Community: 2018 commissioner on the Chatham Borough Historic Preservation Commission, Chatham Schools PTO room parent, Library of the Chathams children’s music programs, Parent team coordinator for Chatham’s “Relay for Life”, parent coordinator for “Breast Cancer Research Foundation” annual youth fundraiser, parent coordinator of youth USTA tennis teams. Volunteered for various political campaigns including Mikie Sherrill for Congress (NJ 11).
- U.S. House of Representatives—intern for Doug Bereuter (R-Nebraska,1990)
- Performing Arts—professional singer and actor; various theatrical and tv roles
- Music teacher, 24 years— currently Music Together of Chatham and Summit, Stanley Nursery School, New Providence Presbyterian Church School.
- Spanish teacher—all three Chatham lower elementary schools, After School Enrichment.
College of William and Mary, BA in Russian and Soviet Studies and a minor in Spanish, Mortar Board And ODK honor societies. Division 1 tennis, Honor Council (VP), president of my sorority. Duke University—study abroad in Spain.
I have been a member of the same women’s tennis team since I moved to Chatham. An avid baker, you can frequently find me baking decorated cookies and cakes for family and friends with “Carolyn’s Cookies”. I am a member of a book club and have been invigorated by the activism shared by fellow members of Chatham Moms for Change and the Chatham Democrats. Our family has enjoyed membership in the Chatham Fish and Game Club. We love traveling as a family throughout the United States and abroad, especially to my home state of Nebraska, and to Spain, where we have close friends. I am particularly thankful for the support of my husband and children, who are the greatest blessings of my life.
Please join us at our Borough Council meetings. Take the opportunity to voice any concerns, hear from your elected officials and learn about community initiatives. Click here ~ Chatham Borough 2019 Calendar
Carolyn Dempsey will be holding Borough Council hours. Please stop by to say hi, talk about issues of concern, or learn more about Borough operations.
Hours will be 11:30am - 1pm at the Library of the Chathams' Quiet Reading Room. March 14th, April 11th, May 16th and June 13th.
Feel free to email the Carolyn Dempsey anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org